A Man Lost His Life Because of Flesh

A Man Lost His Life Because of Flesh-Eating Bacteria In Florida

A Tennessee man died this week after getting infected by bacteria, vibrio vulnificus, throughout a trip to the Florida Panhandle, his daughter mentioned.

In a Facebook post, Cheryl Bennett Wiygul stated her father became infected with the bacteria after a day of splashing around within the water off of Destin. He appeared happy and talkative, she mentioned.

“About 4:00 a.m. Saturday morning, 12 hours after we have been within the water, he woke up with a fever, chills and some cramping. They got to the hospital in Memphis around 8 p.m.,” Wiygul mentioned in the post. “They took him back immediately. As they had been helping him get changed into his hospital gown, they noticed this swollen black spot on his back that was not there before.”

The person’s condition worsened over the next several hours. A bout with cancer had weakened his immune system, the daughter stated, and he died Sunday afternoon.

“He was passed by Sunday afternoon. Less than 48 hours after getting out of the water feeling great, the bacteria had destroyed him,” Wiygul wrote.

The man’s lab results confirmed that he had been infected with the bacteria vibrio vulnificus, his daughter wrote. The bacteria is among those that may cause the flesh-eating phenomenon often called necrotizing fasciitis, in accordance with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Per the CDC, Vibrio vulnificus is common in coastal waters between May and October and might become a cause for concern after events similar to hurricanes and tropical storms due to storm surge.

In June, a 77-year-old Florida woman was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis after cutting her leg at a Florida beach. She died, as do one in three individuals who contract the flesh-eating bacteria. It was the second necrotizing fasciitis case that had been reported at a Florida beach within a month.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *