Two People Lost Their Eyes Due to Contact Lens

A scary warning to users of contacts to take them out before showering or swimming, Two UK sufferers had been left legally blind in one eye after contracting a rare parasitic eye an infection linked to water, studies Live Science. A 41-year-old lady described two months of pain, blurry vision, and light sensitivity in her left eye before doctors discovered a defect in her cornea, based on a report within the New England Journal of Medicine.

The lady was finally diagnosed with Acanthamoeba keratitis, a parasitic an infection “commonest in individuals who wear contact lenses,” in response to the CDC. It describes threat factors together with improper handling and “swimming, utilizing a hot tub, or showering while wearing lenses.”

The lady finally received a partial cornea transplant, which slightly improved her vision.

Nick Humphrey is awaiting the same procedure on his right eye. “If I get my sight back I’ll never put on contacts again,” the 29-year-old says, per Fox News. He contracted Acanthamoeba keratitis in 2018 after frequently showering with contact lenses.

“I’d wake up, pop my lenses in, and head to the fitness center before work, then I’d jump within the shower before heading to the office,” he says.

He’s working with charity Fight for Sight to warn others that this “can occur due to something as simple as getting within the shower.”